In Thursday’s (9/3) Indianapolis Star, Jay Harvey writes, “The Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra is passing the baton to nine guest conductors who will fill slots in the 2009-10 season originally reserved for former ISO music director Mario Venzago. Venzago, who had occupied the music director position with the ISO since 2002, was released from his contract in late July when he failed to come to an agreement with ISO management. Raymond Leppard, ISO music director from 1987 to 2001, had already been tapped to conduct the orchestra’s opening weekend performances Sept. 25 and 26. The ISO released the names of the nine conductors today. All but one has performed as a guest conductor with the orchestra before. Jessica DiSanto, ISO director of communications, said none of the conductors is necessarily a candidate for the music-director job. She said members of the conductor search committee also have not been set.” The nine conductors are Matthias Bamert, Pietari Inkinen, Jeffrey Kahane, Jun Märkl, Juanjo Mena, Ludovic Morlot, Carlo Rizzi, Michael Stern, and Gilbert Varga.
Posted September 3, 2009