New Mexico Symphony and musicians reach agreement

Posted on: December 1, 2009

In Monday’s (11/30) New Mexico Business Weekly (Albuquerque), Megan Kamerick reports, “After months in limbo, the New Mexico Symphony Orchestra has reached an agreement with its musicians and will initiate its delayed 2009/10 season on Dec. 12. NMSO management issued a statement indicating the agreement has been ratified by the full orchestra and it will perform ‘A Very Merry Pops’ on Dec. 12 and the ‘Messiah’ on Dec. 18-20. The NMSO trustees also are launching a major fundraising campaign, details of which will be forthcoming, according to a news release. … The NMSO had to postpone several concerts after the master agreement with the musicians expired in August. The symphony said in October it was facing a $1 million deficit and needed to cut $690,000 from its budget. … Eric Meyer, president and CEO of the NMSO, said the agreed-upon cuts range from just over 12 percent to just over 18 percent, depending on the musician, the type of contract and how many service guarantees each has. The cuts, along with staff and other budgetary cuts and program changes the NMSO will announce soon, amount to about $1.2 million in savings over its budget last year, Meyer said.”

Posted December 1, 2009