Ozawa out six months for cancer treatment

Posted on: January 8, 2010

An Associated Press report posted Thursday (1/7) on the ABC News website states, “Japanese conductor Seiji Ozawa said Thursday he has been diagnosed with esophageal cancer and will cancel all his concerts for six months to receive treatment. Ozawa, an icon in the classical music world, said the cancer was spotted following a regular medical checkup late last year. ‘I am perfectly fine right now. I have no problems drinking or eating,’ the 74-year-old maestro said at a news conference in Tokyo. A doctor who accompanied Ozawa said the cancer is in an early stage. ‘I will abide by the doctors’ advice. I will be back within six months,’ a smiling Ozawa said. He will cancel all his concerts from January to June during which his office said there are around 30 concerts at home and abroad scheduled. Ozawa is currently chief conductor of the Vienna State Opera. … Before the Vienna opera, the Japanese conductor served 29 years as music director of the Boston Symphony Orchestra. Ozawa led the American orchestra longer than any other conductor in its 125-year history.” Ozawa also led the Toronto Symphony Orchestra from 1965-70 and the San Francisco Symphony from 1969-76.

Posted January 8, 2010