Suspended Charleston Symphony looks to organize 75th anniversary concert

Posted on: July 26, 2010

In Sunday (7/25) Post and Courier (Charleston, South Carolina), Adam Parker writes, “The Charleston Symphony Orchestra, dormant and still struggling, will try to organize a single concert for the beginning of what is supposed to be its 75th anniversary season in an effort to revitalize the ailing organization. The board of directors voted at a July 13 meeting to support John Warren’s motion to bring management and musicians together for a one-time event, to be held later this year. Daniel Beckley, board member and chairman of the newly formed concert committee, said the group met Monday [7/19] to discuss the single-concert idea and prepare a set of recommendations. If successful, the concert will demonstrate to the symphony board, musicians and community that management and musicians can work together to accomplish a common goal and demonstrate that performances of classical music are essential to the cultural life of the city, he said. … The symphony halted operations in March when it became apparent that it would not have enough cash on hand to finish the season. … Earlier this year, the musicians rejected a proposal for an interim agreement that would have applied only to the 2010-11 season and would have cut wages drastically.”

Posted July 26, 2010