Mixed feelings over proposed chamber orchestra for Charleston

Posted on: August 25, 2010

In Sunday’s (8/22) Post and Courier (Charleston, South Carolina), Adam Parker writes, “As the Charleston Symphony Orchestra continues searching for a way to resurrect itself and makes plans for a single-concert fall extravaganza, another classical music initiative is in the works, and some say it can hinder the symphony’s efforts to regain a firm footing. The symphony called it quits in March, canceling the rest of its season when it became apparent its cash reserves could not sustain operations. A series of public forums meant to assess levels of community support for the symphony wrapped up last month. A steering committee now is preparing recommendations based on those meetings. Lorenzo Muti, the organizer of a new chamber orchestra, said his enterprise is not meant to compete with the symphony, whose future is uncertain. … He plans to import the business model employed by the Chamber Orchestra of the Triangle, the Chapel Hill-based ensemble he has directed since 1988. … Reactions from community leaders, musicians and symphony management were mixed. Some said any attempt to introduce a new classical music venture that uses out-of-town players when local musicians are struggling is unethical. Others cautiously offered that more quality music would indeed enhance all quality music in town.”

Posted August 25, 2010