Philadelphia Orchestra’s conducting roster in transition

Posted on: September 7, 2010

In Tuesday’s (9/7) Philadelphia Inquirer, Peter Dobrin writes about changes among the Philadelphia Orchestra’s conducting staff: “Associate conductor Rossen Milanov steps down at the end of the 2010-11 season in August, after 11 seasons, and assistant conductor Danail Rachev left last month after two [seasons]. Now the orchestra is focused on two candidates for its assistant-conducting slot, both of whom will lead family concerts here this season. … The season could end with one, both, or neither of them getting a title, or with the orchestra’s assistant-conductor responsibilities being parceled out in some other way, [Vice President for Artistic Planning Jeremy] Rothman said. Milanov started as assistant conductor in 2000. His workload soon increased and he took on the ‘associate conductor’ title, leading holiday and neighborhood concerts and becoming artistic director of the orchestra’s Mann Center season. The orchestra is not seeking to replace him with another associate conductor at this point, says Rothman. Rather, it is generally expanding the roster of guest conductors with an eye toward the future. … Music director-designate Yannick Nézet-Séguin takes his full title in two years, with the start of the 2012-13 season, and it’s possible he will want to take a mentoring role with the assistant conductors or conduct some of the family and neighborhood concerts himself.”

Posted September 7, 2010