Llewellyn extends contract with North Carolina Symphony

Posted on: September 16, 2010

Thursday’s (9/16) News & Observer (Raleigh, North Carolina) reports, “Grant Llewellyn, the charismatic director of the N.C. Symphony, has signed a three-year contract extension that will keep him conducting the Raleigh-based orchestra through 2015, it was announced Wednesday. Symphony leaders said they hoped the Welsh-born conductor would continue to raise the orchestra’s stature, even as it emerges from the financial difficulties of the current recession. … ‘I have to come to realize that this is truly a unique orchestra in a very special place,’ Llewellyn said. ‘The North Carolina Symphony entertains and serves the people of this state as no other orchestra in the country, and I am proud and honored to be able to lead these fine musicians on our statewide mission into the future.’ The new contract will not mean any salary adjustment, according to Catharine Arrowood, a Raleigh attorney who is the symphony’s vice chairwoman. As part of the symphony cutbacks, Llewellyn had previously agreed to a 10 percent pay cut from $206,975 to $186,278. Llwellyn became the symphony’s fifth music director on July 1, 2004, signing a four-year contract. His appointment followed a 32-months international search. In 2006, the contract was extended to 2012.”

Posted September 16, 2010