New York Philharmonic resubmits Cuba trip request

Posted on: October 28, 2010

In Thursday’s (10/28) New York Times, Daniel J. Wakin writes, “The New York Philharmonic canceled a trip to Havana last year because the United States government refused to allow its wealthy patrons to go along, saying they would essentially be tourists. That violates sanctions banning most travel to Cuba. So the Philharmonic quietly resubmitted its application, this time adding a children’s concert and Kidzone beforehand and stating that the patrons would be involved in the activities, officials at the orchestra and in Washington said in recent interviews. The latest application was submitted in July, but the Treasury Department—which issues licenses for travel to Cuba with guidance from the State Department—has taken no action. The Philharmonic had hoped to go in early February, when it has a hole in its schedule. But Zarin Mehta, the orchestra’s president and executive director, said that with only several months to plan, a February visit appears unlikely. … A senior Obama administration official said that—as opposed to the original request—the new application was ‘more compliant’ with licensing rules, which allow Americans to visit Cuba for cultural and educational reasons.”

Posted October 28, 2010