Detroit Symphony musicians drop unfair-labor charge

Posted on: November 22, 2010

In Monday’s (11/22) Detroit Free Press, Mark Stryker writes, “The striking musicians of the Detroit Symphony Orchestra have withdrawn the unfair-labor practice charge they filed in September with the National Labor Relations Board that accused management of bargaining in bad faith. ‘They gave us an indication that they weren’t going to rule in our favor,’ cellist Haden McKay said Sunday. McKay, a players’ spokesman, said the charge was withdrawn last week. … Had the NLRB ruled there was enough merit for the claim to go forward, the decision could have put public pressure on management to sweeten its offer. Ultimately, a guilty verdict would have rendered management liable for back pay. DSO Executive Vice President Paul Hogle declined to comment Sunday on the withdrawal of the charge. … The strike, which began Oct. 4, has led to the cancellation of 27 concerts through the end of November. … After six weeks of no communication, informal talks between the two sides began Nov. 5.  Sources on both sides confirm that the parties continue to exchange ideas, potential proposals and concerns, though there have been no breakthroughs, and no formal negotiating sessions are scheduled.”

Posted November 22, 2010