Detroit Symphony cancels two weeks of concerts

Posted on: December 1, 2010

In Wednesday’s (12/1) Detroit Free Press, Mark Stryker reports, “Management of the Detroit Symphony Orchestra has canceled two additional weeks of concerts in the wake of last week’s failed negotiations to end the eight-week musicians’ strike. The decision raises the number of cancellations since the beginning of the season to 34 concerts, about 30% of the season. The cancellations include classical concerts this week and next but leave in place the ‘Home for the Holidays’ pops concerts on Dec. 16-19 under the leadership of Music Director Leonard Slatkin, who was scheduled to lead the canceled performances, too. The concerts Friday through Sunday were to have included pianist Jean-Yves Thibaudet and the world premiere of Stephen Rush’s ‘Tango Symphony.’ … The players went on strike Oct. 4 over proposed pay cuts and work rule changes that management said were needed to save the financially troubled orchestra but the players said would diminish quality by making it impossible to attract and retain the best players. … The two sides appeared to be making headway last week; on Wednesday they met with a federal mediator for the first time since talks broke down in September. But talks finished with the players rejecting management’s latest proposal and management pulling it off the table.”

Posted December 1, 2010