Muti rested, eager to get back to work at Chicago Symphony

Posted on: December 16, 2010

In Thursday’s (12/16) Chicago Tribune, John von Rhein writes, “At the other end of the phone, Riccardo Muti sounded relaxed and affable, like a man on top of the world. … It was the first interview the renowned Italian maestro, 69, has given to any news organization in the U.S. since his abrupt departure from Chicago in October, midway through his first official tour of duty as music director of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. He flew home to Milan to be treated by his doctors for severe abdominal pains brought on by what his doctors later determined was acute physical exhaustion. Following a month of rest, with wife Cristina keeping a watchful eye on him lest he slip back into workaholism, he was ‘as good as new,’ he said.” On his upcoming February residency in Chicago, Muti says, “Nothing has changed. The schedule that was planned previously will be respected. Deborah Rutter (CSO Association President) visited me here earlier this month, and we worked through the program for the orchestra’s 2011-12 season. We will continue with auditions for the principal clarinet position. We will continue my visits to area high schools as well as most of the other things that had been planned.”

Posted December 16, 2010