Muti to miss final week of Chicago Symphony residency to recover

Posted on: February 9, 2011

In Wednesday’s (2/9) Chicago Tribune, Mark Caro and John von Rhein report, “Chicago Symphony Orchestra music director Riccardo Muti will miss the final week of his February residency as he recovers from surgery to repair multiple face and jaw fractures suffered in a fall during rehearsal last week, CSO Association president Deborah Rutter announced Tuesday at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Alexis Olsson, the hospital’s chief of oral and maxillofacial surgery, performed the surgery on Muti Monday and said the conductor has no scheduled release date from the hospital. … ‘The surgery went very well, and I anticipate a full recovery,’ Olsson said. Rutter said a variety of doctors continues to perform tests on the 69-year-old conductor to determine the underlying cause of why he fainted during a CSO rehearsal last Thursday at Orchestra Hall. Muti incurred his injuries when he passed out and pitched forward onto his face from his podium.”

Posted February 9, 2011