Detroit Symphony extends contract with CEO Parsons

Posted on: June 6, 2011

In Saturday’s (6/4) Detroit Free Press, Mark Stryker reports, “Detroit Symphony Orchestra President Anne Parsons, who became a lightning rod for criticism by musicians and their supporters during the recent six-month strike but earned praise for her leadership from key donors and the board, has signed a three-year contract extension. The deal, which includes neither a pay raise nor pay cut, promises to keep Parsons at the executive helm at least through 2014. The deal was approved by the board in late March, just before the end of the strike, but orchestra officials delayed an announcement until today because they wanted to wait until the abbreviated spring season was over and next season had been announced.” The article reports that reactions among musicians were mixed, some still bitter over the strike, while others, “struck a more conciliatory tone. … Board chair Stanley Frankel issued a strong statement of support, citing Parsons’ ‘proven expertise in navigating challenging economic climates’ and her ‘deep connections within the national funding community.’ David Campbell, president of the Detroit-based McGregor Fund, praised Parsons’ leadership and said she was highly respected among Detroit’s funding community. He said her new contract was a welcome sign of stability.”

Posted June 6, 2011