Contract talks stalled, Atlanta Symphony musicians organize run-out concert

Posted on: September 19, 2012

In Monday’s (9/17) Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Ernie Suggs reports, “The musicians of the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra will be back on stage this week. … A majority of the players will present two special benefit concerts Thursday and Friday at the Center for the Arts at North Atlanta High School. It will be the first time many of them have been on stage for months—and it might be the last time in the foreseeable future as signs of contract settlement still seem far away. Joel Dallow, a cellist for the orchestra, said the concert series will have several meanings. ‘It allows the public to get the chance to hear what we have to offer. It has been a while since we have played as a full orchestra,’ said Dallow, who is a spokesman for the musicians on the labor front. … Although the performances are free, the musicians will be accepting donations for members who need health care. … The last contract that the musicians signed expired last month. Right now, the musicians and management are in a stalemate over terms of a new contract. The two sides are more than $1 million apart in their negotiations, which center on salary and the length of the season.”

Posted September 19, 2012