New orchestra in Santa Monica looks to bring music back into community

Posted on: September 20, 2012

In Monday’s (9/17) Santa Monica Daily Press (California), Kevin Herrera writes, “Orchestral music groupies who were disappointed by the decision in August by the Santa Monica Symphony Association to suspend the 2012-13 season of free concerts because of a lack of money now have something to applaud. Maestro Allen Robert Gross, who led the Santa Monica Symphony Orchestra before the suspension, has been charged with directing a new group of professional, amateur and volunteer musicians under the banner of Orchestra Santa Monica. This new venture, funded by donors and musicians who are committed to providing affordable concerts for the community, plans to offer three performances in its inaugural season, the first scheduled for Saturday, Oct. 27 at  7:30 p.m. at Barnum Hall on the campus of Santa Monica High School, according to a press release issued by Orchestra Santa Monica last week. A family concert is also planned as part of Santa Monica’s Martin Luther King, Jr. weekend celebration. The next task will be raising enough funds through grants, ticket sales and donations to fund the third concert of the season, Gross said. … Gross was clear that Orchestra Santa Monica is not a ‘stop-gap’ measure until the symphony resurfaces. … ‘We intend to be a permanent, viable organization that represents the best of what Santa Monica has to offer,’ Gross said.”

Posted September 20, 2012