Minnesota Orchestra cancels summer concerts

Posted on: July 12, 2013

In Friday’s (7/12) New York Times, Allan Kozinn reports that the “labor dispute at the Minnesota Orchestra, where the musicians have been locked out since October, had already caused the cancellation of the respected orchestra’s entire 2012-13 season and has now wiped out its planned summer season as well. The orchestra’s management announced … that it was canceling a series of summer concerts that was to have run from July 20 to Aug. 3, and which would have included some of the works that were to have been performed during the regular season. … ‘We have delayed canceling these concerts as long as we possibly could with the hope we would have an agreement in place,’ Jon Campbell, the chairman of the orchestra’s board, said in a statement. … Management has proposed what it calls its best and final offer, and the musicians say that they have made several proposals, including an offer to continue performing under the terms of the expired contract while negotiating a new one. But according to management the musicians have not made a financial counter-proposal. The players insist that they will not negotiate while they are locked out. … Blois Olsen, a spokesman for the musicians, said that the players did not have a comment on the latest cancellation.”

Posted July 12, 2013