Muti leaves Rome Opera post

Posted on: September 22, 2014

“The conductor Riccardo Muti has abruptly resigned as the chief conductor of the Rome Opera, citing ongoing management and labor turmoil at the Teatro dell’Opera di Roma,” writes Brian Wise in Sunday’s (9/21) WQXR blog. “In a letter to the financially troubled opera house, Muti, 73, said that he has withdrawn from upcoming productions of Aida, opening in November, and The Marriage of Figaro, in spring 2015. ‘Despite all my efforts to contribute to your cause,’ Muti wrote, ‘there are no conditions to ensure the serenity necessary for the success of the production.’ … Muti … remains music director of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. The Naples-born conductor said that, after six years, he is leaving ‘with great regret, and after long and tormented reflection.’ … It has been a bumpy season among some of Europe’s leading opera houses. Franz Welser-Möst abruptly stepped down from his post as music director of the Vienna State Opera on Sept. 5, citing differences with management. Ten days later, conductor Bertrand de Billy announced that he was canceling his upcoming performances with the company, for similar reasons. Last month, Italian conductor Gianandrea Noseda resigned as music director of Teatro Regio Torino, but has agreed to stay through the 2014-15 season.”

Posted September 22, 2014