Pittsburgh Symphony reports drop in 2014-15 ticket revenue

Posted on: July 13, 2015

“After raising ticket prices for two consecutive seasons, the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra has seen its 2014-15 sales for Mellon Grand Classics drop from 61 percent of Heinz Hall capacity to 50 percent. The Pops series dropped from 62 to 56 percent,” writes Mark Kanny in Friday’s (7/10) Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. Among the orchestra’s challenges is “filling a particularly large hall, one with 2,662 seats for sale…. Classical ticket-price increases were 5 percent for the 2013-14 season and 7 percent in 2014-15. The Pops tickets went up 3 percent each year…. While revenue per seat sold went up, overall ticket revenue was down 4 percent for 2014-15…. ‘The good news is we’re seeing an uptick in overall subscription sales for next season, 2015-16. Last year, we were at 81 percent renewal for classical at this point in the year, this year is 84 or 85 percent,’ said [Vice President of Sales Michael] Sexauer says…. One major recommendation presented at the League of American Orchestras annual convention in May was to increase flexible ticket-exchange programs. ‘We’ve been ahead of the curve on offering flexible options,’ [Vice President of Communications and External Relations Louise] Sciannameo says…. ‘Some of the steps we’re taking to address our issues with the marketplace come from being responsive to what our patrons tell us,’ Sexauer says. ‘There is our opportunity.’ ”

Posted July 13, 2015