Chung Myung-whun likely to step down from Seoul Philharmonic in 2016

Posted on: September 2, 2015

In Sunday’s (8/30) Korea Times, Kwon Ji-youn reports, “On Friday evening at the Seoul Philharmonic Orchestra (SPO) Beethoven concert at Seoul Arts Center, a slideshow filled with images reflecting maestro Chung Myung-whun’s ten years with the SPO was screened following its performance of Beethoven’s Seventh Symphony. It was a surprise the members had prepared in response to the reports that Chung had decided not to renew his contract as music director of the nation’s top orchestra. In an interview with the local newspaper Chosun Ilbo published Friday, Chung expressed his intent to step down as music director of the orchestra based in Seoul when his current contract expires at the end of the year. He did not specify a reason in the short interview, but added he will conduct the concerts already scheduled for 2016.” Chung “said earlier this year that he will only renew his contract with the SPO if the Seoul Metropolitan Government (SMG) promises to build a music hall for the SPO, as well as provide its wholehearted support. New SPO CEO Heung-sik told reporters Friday that he believes if the SMG gives Chung a good reason so stay, he might reconsider.”

Posted September 2, 2015