After legal review, Carnegie Hall board continues to back Clive Gillinson

Posted on: November 18, 2015

“Carnegie Hall—whose former chairman, Ronald O. Perelman, stepped down last month after clashing with its executive and artistic director, Clive Gillinson—announced on Monday that a legal review that it commissioned had found no evidence to support allegations that Mr. Gillinson had tried to undermine Mr. Perelman’s oversight responsibilities,” writes Michael Cooper in Monday’s (11/16) New York Times. “The review, completed by lawyers from O’Melveny & Myers, had concluded that ‘although there was a serious breakdown in the working relationship between Mr. Gillinson and Mr. Perelman, there is no evidence to support allegations that Mr. Gillinson sought to undermine Mr. Perelman’s or the board’s oversight responsibilities, or that his staff’s actions impeded the proper governance of Carnegie.’ … Carnegie said [that] members of the executive committee of its board were ‘satisfied that Mr. Gillinson complied with his professional responsibilities’ and that Mr. Gillinson ‘continues to have their full support.’ … Howard Heiss, the lawyer who led the inquiry, said … the inquiry did not fault Mr. Perelman for raising concerns [about] the Warner Music Prize…. But he said that ‘we have reviewed those issues and have concluded that they don’t raise any more general governance concerns.’ ”

Posted November 18, 2015