Salonen ends speculation about New York Philharmonic music director position

Posted on: January 25, 2016

“Esa-Pekka Salonen, the innovative Finnish conductor who is the composer in residence at the New York Philharmonic, will not be the orchestra’s next music director, disappointing some fans and a number of prominent critics who had favored him for the post,” writes Michael Cooper in Friday’s (1/22) New York Times. “Salonen issued his clearest statement yet last week, after he was asked about the continuing media speculation that he might be a candidate—speculation that has persisted despite his repeated statements over the past year that he wants to spend more time composing. ‘While the attention in the press has been very flattering, as I’ve said before, a new conducting position would not be logistically possible with the demands of my composing schedule,’ Mr. Salonen said in an email. ‘In fact, I’m looking to further reduce my conducting activities in future seasons, while maintaining my position as principal conductor of the Philharmonia in London.’ The Philharmonic declined to discuss its hunt for a maestro…. But this winter the orchestra is expected to announce its choice of a conductor to succeed Alan Gilbert after he steps down next season.”

Posted January 25, 2016