Stamford Symphony to continue search for music director

Posted on: August 1, 2018

“The Stamford Symphony said it will remain one of the local music world’s most eligible bachelors, courting another slate of conductors this season in search of a perfect match to replace longtime music director Eckart Preu,” writes Barry Litton in Monday’s (7/30) Stamford Advocate (CT). “The symphony last season invited five to conduct after nearly 200 musicians applied for weeklong ‘first dates’ vying for the coveted music director position held for more than a decade by Preu, who resigned in 2016, said symphony CEO and President Russell Jones. But the symphony declined to hire the invitees for lack of chemistry.… The symphony Monday set its schedule for next season and announced the next four invitees, all potential music directors.” They are Edward Cumming, Lucas Richman, Michael Stern, and Vladimir Kulenovic. The symphony had previously slated candidate Andrés Cárdenes to conduct in November. “Jones said it’s not unheard of for these searches to go several seasons…. ‘When we took a step back at the end of last season, it became clear that no single conductor emerged as the consensus choice to lead the Stamford Symphony into the future,’ Alan McIntyre, chair of the symphony’s Board of Directors, said.”

Posted August 1, 2018