Indianapolis Symphony’s Urbański to step down in 2021

Posted on: May 13, 2019

“Krzysztof Urbański, the music director of the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra, will depart after the 2020-21 season, the orchestra announced late Friday afternoon,” writes Domenica Bongiovanni in Saturday’s (5/11) Indy Star. “That will make Urbański’s tenure with the symphony a total of 10 years. The announcement of his departure aligns with the end of his latest contract with the orchestra, which was for three years, [said] CEO James Johnson…. ‘The last eight years with the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra have proven to be artistically rewarding in every respect,’ Urbański said in a news release…. The Polish-born Urbański was hired in 2011 and has since helped increase ticket sales to record levels and led the orchestra to the Kennedy Center’s vaunted SHIFT Festival of American Orchestras. He has programmed music festivals centered on Mozart’s last year, for example, and led the effort to commission new works. Johnson [said], … ‘I believe that’s brought the orchestra to a new level.’ Urbański hired seven principal players and a total of 19 musicians during his tenure…. The symphony announced the music director’s move as part of a leadership transition. Musicians, staff and board members will form a search committee for someone to assume the role.”

Posted May 13, 2019